Friday, January 11, 2008

Ask Judith: What Motivated You to Tell Your Story?

To tell you the truth, the motivating factor after my father had "suggested" I write my story for the past 12 years or so, was a book my friend and board member gave me to read. It was called A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (you know, the guy who duped Oprah and therein sullied the reputation and good name of addicts everywhere).

I read it, though finishing it was a chore, and this rarely happens to a gal who cranks out at least a book a day -- reading, not writing one, that is. I finally called Sheryl and asked her if ever she began to care about this guy. She answered quite truthfully that "No, she never had."

I was put off by his language, his profanity, his abuse of every rule of grammar and punctuation Lying in my bed that very last night of laboring through it, I said to myself, "I could do better than this in a first draft." I got up, tied a robe around my waist, and started writing.

I finished the rough draft in two and a half weeks, and though it needed several read-throughs and some corrections, and admittedly I had not set a very high bar for myself, I believe I was right about besting his paperback copy.

Interested in reading my book? Order The Other Woman at the Well: A Truthful Account of Addiciton Overcome here.

Published by Xulon Press.

Once a week I'll be answering your questions in a column called...you guessed it...Ask Judith! I invite you to submit your questions in any of the following ways:

1) Send an e-mail to addictionovercome.INC@gmail.com with the subject line "Ask Judith"

2) Leave a comment and question in our newly added guest book, which appears in the right hand column.

3) Leave your question in the comments at the end of any of the blog entries. To make sure I know it's a question, start it off by saying "Hey Judith, I have a question..."

I look forward to your feedback and answering any questions you may have about my experiences, the ministry of Addiction Overcome, Inc. or drug abuse in general.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your topic is new to me.I can't imagine about this.It is so sad to me using drugs and alcohol.
********************************
Adens

Your Social Media Marketing Turnkey Solution!
http://www.widecircles.com